Friday, August 21, 2009

Resilience

This is an interesting blog to read: A Singapore Taxi Driver's Diary

I chanced upon it when I saw Dr Ludwig Tan's entry about a grammatical mistake of a newspaper article.

The author of this blog is actually a PI (not private investigator, its principal investigator) at IMCB! I used to work there a few years ago and PIs are considered the big shots of a research institutes as they drive the research in their labs.

I never would have thought that a person who has a phD is reduced to being a taxi driver. A few other PIs, were asked to leave the institute and I really wonder where they are now. HWJ seems to be the only veteran one there now (and holding his position). My ex-boss is still there.

However, it seems that he is taking it in positive light and sharing the noble profession of a taxi driver.

I'm really quite puzzled why he chose to be a taxi driver. I'm sure with his qualifications, he could have found a more suitable job, at least one that has a reasonable salary. Even though money is not everything, but I'm sure he could do away with a teaching job that would pay much better than a taxi driver.

To a certain degree, he really deserves my admiration. For one, even after he left his profession as a scientist, his passion didn't die with the job, he managed to publish THREE first-tier papers without an infrastructure of a lab. Its really amazing and reflects his passion for science! Kudos to him!

Anyways, browse through his blog, i think you'd find some of his entries quite interesting! =)

1 comment:

Y said...

H told me about that too! And he was glad that he isn't in research :P